Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Poor Annie ... Get well soon, kid



Rumors were flying already Monday morning.

 "Did you happen to catch KEYC news last night?" a coworker says.

"Um ... No," I said. Because I usually don't. Not that I don't like KEYC. But because I generally don't watch television news on Sundays.

"That anchor, not sure what her name is, must have been drunk or something," the coworker says. "It was bad."

We waited for a couple of days for that broadcast to make it onto YouTube. And finally, by this morning (Wednesday), there it was.

We laughed at first, as news anchor Annie Stensrud stumbled through the first story, something about a new cancer center or something in New Ulm. But things got worse when she reported on Santa being at Farmamerica.

And we laughed ...

... And then I felt like crap for doing so.

What we'd witnessed was a train wreck, for sure. But there's something more going on here, clearly. Was she drunk? Well, unless Annie comes forward to talk about that night, all we can do is say, "It sure looked like it." Could she have been on cold medication? Sure. Or muscle relaxers? Yep (I took muscle relaxers once before an interview and I'm quite sure the president of the National Nurses Association believed she was interviewed by a drunk man that day.) But at this point, the jury of public opinion has rendered its verdict, and they've decided Annie was drunk. It's all over Facebook, YouTube, media bloggers are talking about, it's even on the Huffington Post.

Let's assume she was drunk. We could collective laugh our butts off at her. It's what we do in America these days -- we troll YouTube for funny videos and laugh at them, people can't wait for their buddies to do something stupid so they can Facebook it and embarrass them, and we feed off the misfortunes of others (ever seen the Failblog?)

Or we take a step back and cut Annie some slack. I'm not claiming to be holier-than-thou. Like I mentioned earlier, I waited for Annie's video to hit YouTube, too. I'm just saying that, wherever Annie is today, she's sitting in a pool of regret, probably wondering if her career is over.

If she was drinking, she chose poorly by going on the air that day. No question about it. She shouldn't have. But I'm guessing KEYC is staffed about the same as we are on weekends: one journalist. She probably figured, intoxicated or not, she had no choice but to try and get the job done because there was no one else.

If she was experiencing a medical issue such as a stroke, then let's hope everyone who called her a drunk will take it back. If she had taken too much cold medication, then let's hope she can come out and just set the record straight.

Let's go easy on Annie, here, folks. IF she was drunk, then she needs help and let's hope she gets it. She's not some attention whore whose every miscue needs to be publicized and ridiculed. She's a working member of our community who needs help.

I'm not condoning anything. Quite the contrary. As a journalist, putting yourself and your work in front of the masses in a compromised state should never be tolerated. And this town has certainly had its share of alcohol-related attention. We've had MSU students drink themselves to death, we've had police officers drinking and driving, we had an alcohol-fueled riot that put our community on the national news for a few nights.

So ... I'm just saying we all make mistakes. And IF this was one of Annie's mistakes, let's forgive her and move on, even if that means we move on without her.


14 comments:

  1. Haha thats pretty funny but i agree with you dad

    - sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no proof that she was drunk. We as a society need to stop focusing on everyone else and focus on our own problems. We all have issues. If we opened up our lives and threw our dirty secrets out for everyone to see and all our problems, we would probably realize as society how we all have problems and more alike than different. Before someone judges her, look at your own closet. If she was drunk, it does not mean she has a problem. Seriously! There is a difference between having a few drinks and actually getting diagnosed with chemical dependency problem. We should all video tape ourselves when we were stoned or drunk, than let us talk. The reality is, I wish they would take that video off youtube. It is called slander when people are judging when they weren't there. They have no clue. I hope she doesn't lose her job. If she was drunk on the job, why is our business? Has any of your co-workers ever shown up high off marijuana or drunk? I don't know any perfect human being. I just wish people would leave her alone and give her some privacy. She doesn't need to come out and explain what happened. It is no ones business, but her own. She doesn't owe us an apology or nothing. It is her life. I hope people realize they need to look deep inside of themselves because by all means they are not perfect either. If we just all let our dirty secrets and problems out and aired them for the world to see, who are we to judge? Maybe we should judge ourselves and our own mistakes we have made in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, you're a reporter... why didn't you call and ask her what was going on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why didn't i call her?

    Well, because another reporter was working on that. This was merely an opinion piece. If it were my job to report this as news, I would have certainly tried getting in touch with her. Obviously.

    Incidentally, I highly doubt she's taking calls from the media on this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I blame KEYC TV for being so secretive about Annie. If it was a medical condition, then why don't they just say that and end the gossip?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taken From KEYC website.

    Four days after what's been termed as an "uncharacteristic newscast" by KEYC management, Annie Stensrud has issued a statement regarding the December 4th appearance. That newscast has gone viral on the Internet and has reached more than 100,000 views.

    Annie's statement:

    "My performance last Sunday night was terrible, and for that, I apologize.
    I've been sick for some time and taking medication, and have missed a lot of
    work lately. I'm on my way to feeling better and hope to be back at full strength soon. I appreciate everyone's understanding and even more so, their support."

    ReplyDelete
  7. And now I see she made the Letterman show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Annie! She is a strong woman! I hope she keeps her head up and knows that there is a lot of people supporting her! I hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Robb, for giving her the benefit of the doubt. You're one of the few. As a member of her family, we've been trying to put out fires left and right, and you're correct: she's not proud of her performance. Hopefully we can all move on now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Robb don't forget about our former Mayor... did you see Letterman's top 10 last night http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/video/?pid=2EfUhRPz5inMq9NY4QhPpd0cZLe0Aodi&nrd=1

    ReplyDelete
  11. MN nice does NOT exist! For the recent news of the DWI story that came out today with Annie, and the comments that people have been writing about her. It is sick. Why would people wish bad things upon someone who is dealing possibly with chemical dependency issues? Maybe she is dealing with a dual-diagnosis with chemical dependency and psychological disorder. WE don't know. It is none of our business. People are cruel! They are heartless and COLD MN. It is sad to read about people wrote about her. It is harassment in many ways. It is bullish. It is hurtful. I wish some Minnesotans would stop with their egos and thinking their perfect. No one is perfect. It is holiday season and people are laughing at this after the fact that she got busted for a DWI. What is wrong with people when they get some sick high off watching others fall?? It is sick world we are living in. I hope Annie gets the treatment and help that she needs. I tell you Robb, I see people drive while intoxicated all the time. The problem is we don't have enough police in this town to stay post down by the bars. Think about it, people drive to the bars and some drive home while intoxicated. When people go to the hockey games, they drink there and they go to the ramp to their cars and drive home. If a police stood post down by the Mankato bars and the ramp, they could arrest half of the people parked in the ramp for intoxication and that is the same for the people who drive to the bar.

    Annie- I wish you the best. I hope you have a Merry Christmas! I am sorry people are mean, cruel, bullies and they like to harass others when they should look deep inside themselves. If anything Annie, the world has become at times this sick place. The lack of empathy is hard to take in. I wish you the best and I hope you get the help that you need! Stay strong even when people put you down! Take care of you and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who called the report in? Anonymous? Anonymous new her license plate number and the description of the car. Who was she drinking with? If she was drinking with people, why did they let her go and drive drunk? If she was drinking and they let her drive drunk, in my eyes they set this girl up. Our town is messed up. There is more to this story than what is being told. I feel like this woman got set up. A situation where you walk into an ambush. I think there is so much more to this story than what we are being told other than supposedly she was under the influence of alcohol. Was she drinking by herself or with someone? Whoever anonymous is, probably is a "friend" she was with. This town is sick. Annie- Remember, the only person you can trust is yourself. i feel like whoever anonymous is, I feel like they know you Annie. I feel like you got set up. You may have chose to drink (if that is the case), but i feel like this was a set up. i feel like whoever anonymous is if they were present before the arrest, they are not real friends. If they were present, why would they let you go in the car and drive? This is my theories (no facts). I definitely don't trust the whole media sensation around this. I think there is more going on than what is being told. I would like to know if she was by herself prior to getting in the car. If she was with someone, they set her up. Why would you let your friends drive intoxicated? Those are not Friends Annie. They are enablers, backstabbers and drug buddies. They are not friends. There are many people like that in Mankato. I have met a lot of those type of people. I have come to the realization, you can only trust yourself. I don't trust many people anymore. MN nice does not exist. People are really "nice" to your face and they back stab you because they want too. It is just purely sick. Keep strong! As we have seen, people in Mankato and surrounding areas really like to put you down, make a joke out of you, etc. They need to look in their own back closet. Everyone has problems. There is a lot people who have broken the law and have cheated on their spouses, etc. in our community. Everyone does such a great job of trying to cover that up! There is a lot sh*t happening in our community that people put on the act that they are perfect, but they are NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is sad!! :( I hope she gets the help she needs! I sense that something bad has happened to her and that she is going through a hard time. I feel for her. I used alcohol a few times in the past to cope through hard times too. Not the best idea because it makes the depression worse. I feel for Annie. I do. I feel bad for her even though she broke a law and could have endangered others. We are not perfect.Everyone makes mistakes. SAD! I hope people will leave her alone. I just really sense that she is going through a really hard time right now and that maybe something really traumatic happened in her life that we wouldn't know about. Instead of people laughing at her (they don't know why she is using alcohol or whatever she may be on), it is like people have no idea. if we opened up our lives and shared the trauma and tragedies we have gone through, people sometimes use during a hard period in their life. I can say I have been there and done that. Looking back, I realize alcohol makes things worse. It doesn't make the problem go away, it just gets worse. You can shove it down with any form of addiction and it doesn't go away. She needs privacy and needs to deal with whatever she is going through. People who love her and respect her, hopefully will help her and support her during this hard time. I hope she and her family has a Merry Christmas and I hope they know that there are people in the community that support her and want her to feel better and succeed. I wish only good things for her and her family. I wish her the best on this journey of hers and I hope whatever is going on in her life, that things start to turn around for the better.

    ReplyDelete