Monday, December 26, 2011

Saga triggers memory for reader

I was working diligently on what I'm sure was a very important story the other day when my phone rings. It's Sonny Telshaw.

You might be saying to yourself (if you live in the Kato area), "Hey, that name sounds familiar ..."

Sonny sells insurance in town. And occasionally his name is on the radio in advertising spots for his business.

Sonny, upon reading my article about Rachel Iverson,  (14-year-old girl battling two rare illnesses), just had to tell me a story. Rachel, he said, had contacted him four years ago to give him a little advice about billboard advertising.

She saw Sonny's billboard, and didn't care for his stern look and, as she says, "not even the smallest smile." So she told him to lighten up a little.

"Maybe you would rather not take advice from a 10-year-old and keep that frowning picture," her letter, shown here, says. "But if I was an adult and you smiled, I would probably buy from you."

Why am I writing about this? Well ... quite simply, I'm one of Rachel's biggest fans. I met with her A LOT for that two-part series we ran. Actually, I met with her a lot more than she wanted, but such is the way I do my job. In the end, I got what I needed to write up that long, long story. But I also got a little more: I got a glimpse into the mind of a true fighter, a person whose grit I'll  never have, but always wish I did.

Sonny's call was the kind that put a smile on my face. He wanted people to know about this letter, and the feisty girl behind it. I wasn't surprised a bit when I saw her name on it.

And I'm happy to oblige Sonny here.

No comments:

Post a Comment