Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Kindness like this always makes me smile

Listen, I won't keep you long but I thought that since I was so very public about the whole vandalism thing, I
better be just as public when something nice happens, too.

Yesterday I received a letter at my home from Dennis Hood. (Some of you might know Dennis from the local youth football league or from Oak Terrace Assisted Living. Good guy.) His letter, which is shown just to the right of these words, says a lot about this community.

If you haven't heard, the Lancers organization experienced a little vandalism the other day. Whoever it was damaged our trailer, which is now in the shop getting repaired.

In the days following the incident, people have been so supportive of the organization. I've been in a position the last few years to have a close-up and often behind-the-scenes view on the group and have been able to see just how hard all these kids work to make their show come together. So the support we've had in comments at local events, postings on Facebook and in emails has left all of us within Lancers humbled.

Sure, I realize there are people who may not be thrilled with the Lancers or think we're something to laugh at or make fun of. But what this incident has shown me is that most people in this community are behind us and supportive. And Mr. Hood's donation was one more piece of proof of that support.

Thanks, Dennis. I know you weren't looking for public recognition. But I thought I'd use it to show how great the community has made the Lancers feel since this happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment