Thursday, June 2, 2011

Honestly, what's all the fuss about a little helicopter ride?

It was all over the news today: N.J. Gov. Christie apparently used a state helicopter as transportation to his son's high school baseball game. People are angry, and now he's paying back the more than $2,000 bill (with a little help from the local GOP.)

Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. What dad wouldn't use any means necessary to get to his kid's ball game?

If I had to, I'd totally hijack a Free Press van if it was my only means of transport to get to Sam's ballgame. I'd steal a car -- hotwire it or something -- if it was my only shot to see my daughter's band concert.

And if that happened, and it came to light that this was an improper use of my position at The Free Press, I'd fully expect the local GOP to come to my defense.  Sure, there'd be no taxpayer dollars  at issue. But the Free Press is kind of the voice of the community, owned by all, accessible to anyone, regardless of political affiliation.

I'm sure they come rescue me. And when they did, we could sit down together, share a bag of Giants sunflower seeds, watch a little youth baseball and figure out this state budget situation like grown-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment